Saturday, November 26, 2016

Fidel Castro dies at age 90


cdn.history.com
Fidel Castro has passed away at age 90, and with this news, I remember one of the scariest days of my life. I was just 12 years old when the Cuban Missile Crisis occurred. The US was already a volatile and scary place to live: we watched the riots in the fight to equality, we did duck and cover drills at school, and the nuns had us consider whether we would die for Jesus when Russia invaded the US.

In a TV address on October 22, 1962, President John Kennedy (1917-63) notified Americans about the presence of the missiles, explained his decision to enact a naval blockade around Cuba and made it clear the U.S. was prepared to use military force if necessary to neutralize this perceived threat to national security. Following this news, many people feared the world was on the brink of nuclear war.

I was home sick from school. I was laying on the floor watch boring daytime television, when the news interrupted with news of the missile standoff between the US and Cuba. The picture shown here is what I saw on television. Twelve in the 1960s was still very young, and I was terrified. I called my mom at work.

After watching for awhile, I went into my room and said some prayers. Then I wrote this poem.

I would hate to be in a war
Even if I didn’t get hurt.
To have some strange man come and say “I won you”,
I didn’t know I was a prize.
Surprise.