Monday, September 26, 2016

Even Jesus had to be patient



I was reading Luke Chapter 12 this morning, and found a statement that surprised me.  Even Jesus had to be patient.
Jesus was talking with his chosen twelve, and shared His personal challenge with stress. I can't say I have ever read where Jesus expressed His own experience with being patient.  I read the Word to discover how to be a better Christian, how to handle a situation, and to strengthen my faith in God. But did you notice: I was reading to find out what I should do and what I could experience. When the Holy Spirit lit up these verses for me, I was filled and thought about this all day.

Jesus was speaking with the crowds “So stop concerning yourselves about what you will eat or what you will drink, and stop being distressed.” Luke 12:29 (ISV). I believe Jesus had stopped speaking to the crowd, because “Peter asked, "Lord, are you telling this parable just for us or for everyone?" Luke 12:41 (ISV)

Jesus answered His disciples: "I have come to bring fire on earth, and how I wish it were already kindled! I have a baptism to be baptized with, and what stress I am under until it is completed!” Luke 12:49-50 (ISV).

Jesus taught others not to be afraid because the Father would supply their needs. He told them how much God loved them, and how even the hairs of their heads were numbered. Even ass Jesus spoke these words, He was practicing patience. Jesus knew when He started His ministry how it was going to end. Jesus knew He would be crucified and rejected by the very people He was helping. And He helped them anyway.

I spent a portion of my lunch hour today reading different versions of Luke 49 and 50. The words remained the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment