Friday, February 17, 2012

Following God is Not for Sissies

Many people think of Christians as sweet loving folk who turn the other cheek. In truth following God is not for sissies. While it's wonderful to talk about God and His goodness, it is harder to walk the talk. Christians walk the Word daily and it takes fortitude, humility and character.

Champions in the Old Testament followed God by faith. Faith is not an abstract concept. It requires trust and dedication. When God asked Moses to lead the children of Israel out of Egypt there was a discourse between Moses and God where Moses pointed out all the reasons he couldn't do it. God listened, acknowledged Moses' concerns, and told Moses to lead the people out of Egypt. I imagine Moses thought "okay fine" and thought "how the heck am I going to do this." However, Moses also thought, "well, God told me to do this, so I will just do it and trust God that it all works out." And it did all work out.

Everyday, Christians are faced with the same challenges as everyone else: unemployment, over inflated mortgages, health issues and raising kids. Yet Christians carry an additional challenge: how to be peaceful and patient. This means understanding that all things work for the good of those who trust God and using everyday circumstances to learn to control tempers, avoid depression, and treat people with kindness.

Everyday living isn't necessarily easier for Christians. However, trusting God provides guidance, peace and a sense of hope that sustains Christians.

2 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I've been a follower of your blog for a little while now. I'm holding a Christian poetry contest at my own blog and I'd be honored if you would submit a poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nissa, I am grateful you asked. Let me know where I can enter my poem.
      Thanks

      Delete