Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter-Christ is Risen, but where's the bunny

I have never understood how the Easter bunny became the symbol of Easter. On Easter, Christians acknowledge the fact the Jesus rose from the dead. This day, Easter Sunday, is a time of joy, celebrating the newness of life that followed the death and crucifixion of Jesus.

But the bunny? History.com has some information on ancient tales of rabbits and eggs symbolizing new life. So maybe that is the connection. It's easier for me with Santa Claus, who brings gifts. I associate this with the great gift God gave in Jesus' birth.

I dug a little deeper, and found that Easter is defined as a wind from the east. As I searched the Bible, I found that the star the lead the Magi to Jesus was in the east.

Now the LORD God had planted a garden in the east, in Eden; and there he put the man he had formed. (Gen 2:8)

Who has stirred up one from the east, calling him in righteousness to his service (Isaiah 41:2)?

And I saw the glory of the God of Israel coming from the east. His voice was like the roar of rushing waters, and the land was radiant with his glory. (Ezekiel 43.2)

For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man (Matthew 24:27)

I found 112 references to "the east" in the New Revised Standard. But I couldn't find the bunny.

No comments:

Post a Comment